Omega-3 fatty acids are some of the healthiest things you can put in your body, known for their anti-inflammatory properties and myriad benefits for heart health, brain function, and vision. However, getting effective quantities of Omega-3 can be challenging for vegans as they are mainly found in animal-based products.
This article aims to provide information on the best vegan Omega-3 supplements available.
We will examine the types of Omega-3, their sources for vegans, and the benefits of getting what you need in a handy supplement.
Finally, we'll introduce you to the best Omega-3 supplement that is high in potency, pure, sustainably sourced, certified vegan, solvent-free, odorless and tasteless. We've worked really hard to create it!
The benefits of omega-3 fatty acids
So when it comes to Omega-3 fatty acids, there are three options: EPA, DHA, and ALA. EPA and DHA are considered the real heavy hitters when it comes to health benefits. Unfortunately, these forms of Omega-3 were once only available through fish and seafood.
However, ALA is a plant-based Omega-3 that can be found in seeds and nuts like flaxseeds, chia seeds, and walnuts. This form of Omega-3 is the main source for vegans, but the body has a hard time converting it into EPA and DHA, so many vegans take Omega-3 supplements to make up for that.
Omega-3 supplements can do wonders for reducing inflammation, keeping your heart healthy, supporting your brain, and keeping your eyes sharp. Just remember, not all Omega-3 supplements are created equal, so it's important to pick a high-quality product with a good potency and purity level.
Up next, we'll talk about the best Omega-3 supplements for vegans!
What are the Best Vegan Omega-3 Supplements?
If you want Omega-3 in a vegan diet, there's one standout choice: algae!
The discovery of algae's usefulness as a supplement source dates back several decades when it was observed that fish get their supply of these essential nutrients from eating microalgae. Researchers began to look into the potential of cultivating this as a sustainable sources of Omega-3 for human consumption.
With the United Nations reporting that about 60% of the world's marine fish stocks are either fully exploited or over-exploited, and about 8% of species are at high risk of extinction, the need for a fully sustainable omega-alternative was clear.
Today, algae-based Omega-3 supplements are popular for their high potency, sustainability, and for being free of contaminants such as heavy metals and pollutants.
|Omega 3 (ALA) per 100g
|Omega 3 (EPA + DHA) per 100g
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Vegan Omega-3 Supplement
- Type of Omega-3: Choose a supplement that contains either EPA and DHA (found in algae-based supplements), as this is more effective than ALA
- Potency: Consider the amount of EPA and DHA in each serving or the amount of ALA if choosing a plant-based supplement.
- Purity: Look for a product that has been tested for contaminants such as heavy metals and toxins, and choose a supplement that's clear about not using solvents.
- Price: Determine your budget and choose a product that offers good value for money.
- Brand reputation: Choose a reputable brand that is transparent about its manufacturing processes and uses high-quality ingredients.
- Form: Omega-3 supplements are available in various forms, including capsules, soft gels, liquids, and powders. Choose a form that is convenient and easy for you to take.
The Top Choices for Vegan Omega Supplements:
Phytality Clean-Omega is a top choice for vegan DHA supplement.
(1) It is solvent-free, meaning that it doesn't contain any harmful chemicals like hexane, making it a safer option for consumption.
(2) Secondly, it's odourless and tasteless, so you won't even know it's in your food. This makes it easy to incorporate into your daily diet without having to worry about changing the taste of your meals.
(3) Phytality Clean-Omega is also sustainably grown, which means that it has a smaller carbon footprint compared to other Omega-3 sources, making it an environmentally-friendly choice.
(4) Lastly, it's certified vegan, so you can be assured that it fits into your vegan lifestyle.
We recommend combining these capsules with a teapsoon of our marine phytoplankton powder daily to get your EPA. This substance carries numerous other benefits besides its EPA content, making it a wholefood multivitamin and omega all in one!
The role of supplements in a vegan diet
As a vegan, you're probably aeare that you may be at risk of certain nutrient deficiencies, such as vitamin B12, vitamin D, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Omega-3 fatty acids are especially important for vegans, as they are not typically found in in a vegan diet. While it is possible to get some types of omega-3s from plant-based sources like flaxseed and chia seeds, these are significantly less effctive than that found in fish or algae.
This is where supplements come in. Vegan omega-3 supplements can help vegans meet their daily omega-3 needs without having to rely on animal products.
Phytality Clean Omega + Phytoplankton: The Best Vegan Omega 3 Combination
If you're looking for a superb way to get your vegan omega-3's, here's what we recommend.
2 capsules of Phytality Clean Omega per day, supply your daily DHA.
1 teaspoon of Phytality Ultana Marine Phytoplantkon supplying your EPA, plus a wealth of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
We believe this combination represents the single best way to supplement your omega's as a vegan.
This is as close to pure wholefood nutrition as you're likely to get as a vegan, and these supplements are carefully produced, completely sustainable and of course solvent free.